Spring is right around the corner and we're growing our team. We're hiring a part-time Forest Technician to manage our forest stewardship and trail-building work. Please see the full posting below and apply by March 26th. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Job title: Forest Technician
Contract duration: May 1 – November 1, 2018
Hours: 1 day/ week, 8-10 hours per day (potential for more hours during the summer if desired).
Compensation: $16-18/ hour depending on skills, experience and education. WCB coverage provided.
- Act as team leader for sustainable forestry projects, with the support of the designer/ project facilitator. Tasks will include chainsaw operation, hand pruning, trail-building, wood chipper operation, moving materials and selective cutting.
- Manage safety and proper personal protective equipment for chainsaw use.
- Provide ecological forestry and land care information to clients and work with them when suitable.
- Assist the team with other garden and land care tasks as needed.
- Load and unload tools to and from the workshop and clients’ properties.
- Assist with workshop, tool and vehicle maintenance as needed.
- Be on-time and ready for each shift, including being prepared for a full day’s work outdoors.
- Be mindful and present in all tasks, staying in tune to the ecosystems and people you are working with.
- Use your best judgement when making task-based decisions about your work.
- Represent Earthshine Gardens in a professional manner at all times while at work, abiding by company policies and practices.
Required Skills and Experience:
The individual we are looking for is a(n)…
- Proficient chainsaw operator with chainsaw training and at least two years of experience working in forestry projects that include tree felling and pruning.
- Stickler for chainsaw safety practices who demonstrates sound judgement consistently.
- College or university educated in the ecology/ biology/ environmental studies/ environmental management fields, or possesses equivalent life experience.
- Skilled interpersonal communicator who works well both individually and with a team.
- Experienced outdoor physical labourer who is physically fit and able to lift at least 50 lbs regularly.
- Enthusiastic and knowledgeable about sustainable forestry practices.
- Demonstrates maturity, active listening, motivation, initiative and trustworthiness.
- Ability to use personal vehicle for work purposes (mileage compensation provided).
- Ability to use personal chainsaw and protective equipment for work purposes (wear-and-tear/ gas compensation provided).
- First aid/ CPR certification.
- Carpentry and wood-working skills.
How to Apply: Please contact Caitlin Doucette at (902) 298-1205 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: 5:00pm Monday, March 26th, 2018